Uley Road Cemetery
Over time, a local prank can turn into an urban legend, and then into a ‘real deal’ ghost story.
Uley Road Cemetery is one such place, where nearby events may be the cause for its haunted reputation… at least for one of the stories.
Still, this place creeps out many who visit it.
Image of Moses Garlick Uley Road Cemetery (also known as ‘Uleybury Baptist Church Cemetery’ and ‘Uley Chapel Cemetery’ among others, depending who you ask) is built in Uleybury a little ways East of Munno Para.
When Moses Bendle Garlick, a weaver, migrated to Australia from Uley, Gloucestershire, England, he was so reminded of his home that when he settled he named the area ‘Uleybury’.
In 1851 Garlick paid four hundred pounds for a small chapel to be built in an acre of his land set aside for the church. Garlick also helped the building of the Uleybury School in 1856. Moses Garlick died in 1859 and a memorial spire is erected in the Uley Cemetery to his name and efforts.
The memorial spire for Moses Garlick. There is much history to be found in the cemetery with many tales both grand and strange. A English woman traveled to Uleybury to plant a stick of willow from Napoleons grave on her sons burial plot where it ‘grew into a fine tree’. Many of the pioneers of the area are buried in that acre of land, land which has been used by the many religious denominations common to that area.
As with all cemeteries Uley is not without it’s share of ghost stories. The old chapel which was demolished in 1981 is said to have been used for all sorts of unholy practices. Through the 70’s and 80’s the cemetery was a regular hangout for young people and the headstones and chapel were badly vandalized – most of the damage you see today was caused back then. Many stories have popped up from that time and the stories still linger either re-experienced or passed down as legend.
The Uleybury Baptist Church Chapel (now demolished).One of the more common ghost stories, the ghost in white, may have been seeded prior to 1953 when a local man would dress in white sheets and jump out, scaring the hell out of passers by. The nearby crossroads have the local name ‘Ghost Corner’ due to these pranks. Today people share stories of a girl in white stepping out on the road right in front of your car, or a woman in a wedding dress running out on the road screaming – variations of peoples experiences due to that old prank?
Footsteps, moving shadows, whispers, talking and cries in the dark have all been reported out at Uley Road. Many people who have ventured out there at night have taken away an experience.
Ghosts seem to like theaters. Perhaps many theaters are thought to be haunted because of their cavernous structure and acoustical design that amplify every sound: in a quiet, empty theater, the gnawing of a mouse becomes the sound of an actor’s spirit traversing the stage, or the knocks and creeks caused by the natural expansion and contraction of its many parts is thought to be a deceased crewman still hammering together a set. Then again, perhaps because a theater is a place of drama and every emotion, that those feelings are in a sense captured by the building and re-enacted even when the stage lights are off, resulting in a residual haunting. Certainly, there are many theaters where poltergeist activity and even apparitions have been encountered again and again.
Before becoming a theater, the building now housing the Pittsburgh Playhouse was at various times a synagogue, a wedding reception hall, a bar and even a brothel. Today it is the performing arts center of Point Park University and the Conservatory of Performing Arts.
The playhouse might be one of the spookiest places in all of Pittsburgh, if you can judge by the number of ghosts inhabiting it. One is the ghost of John Johns, an actor who died there in the 1950s of a heart attack. His disembodied footsteps can be heard near his old dressing room, and his apparition, wearing an old-fashioned tuxedo, has been spotted checking on sets and props.
The playhouse has its own Lady in White, too. According to the legend, she was an actress in the 1930s who shot her husband and his mistress upon discovery of their affair, then she killed herself. She has been seen on stage and in the balcony, still toting her gun.
A ghost called “Weeping Eleanor” can be heard crying in the dressing room area. The story goes, her daughter perished there in a fire when the row houses that once stood there burned.
Lord Baltimore Hotel
The Lord Baltimore Hotel’s long history in the city has earned it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places.
Designed by William Lee Stoddard, it was the largest hotel in the state of Maryland when it opened its doors in 1928.
Guests have reported feeling invisible hands touch them in the elevators, but the 19th floor is said to be particularly haunted. The elevators go to the 19th floor when no one has pressed a button to send them there, and, according to some, the ghost of a little girl who is said to have committed suicide in the hotel frequents its halls.
Clapp Park in Pittsfield, Massachusetts:
#Pittsfield locals often report encountering the #apparition of a tall, shadowy figure near the old #railroad tracks behind Clapp #Park. Others report hearing the sounds of disembodied footsteps and voices, and on several occasions dating back to the 1950’s townsfolk have reported witnessing a #phantom steam engine traveling eastward towards #Boston.
Bristol Opera House in Indiana
The Bristol Opera House was built in 1896 by Cyrus and Horace Mosier, brothers from Elkhart, Indiana. It opened in 1897 with a production of U.S.S. Pinafore by the Arion Company, and quickly became a showplace for Bristol’s arts and entertainment. Over the years, the Bristol Opera House tried to keep up with the growing needs of the community, as well as advancements in technology. It served as a music hall, a cinema, and even a skating rink, all before 1940. However, that year, the aging structure was deemed unsafe for anything other than storage…a position it held onto for 20 years.
In the early 1960s, the former Opera House was still declining, and slated for demolition when the Elkhart Civic Theatre company swooped in and saved the building, eventually bringing it back to its former glory and turning it again into a showplace for Bristol’s arts and entertainment community. It’s reopening was in July of 1961. Today, the old Opera House is still home to the Elkhart Civil Theater, but its also home to a few resident ghosts.
One such ghost that calls the theater home is a little girl the staff have named “Beth.” Beth’s apparition has been spotted at stage left, peeking out from behind the curtain and peering out into the audience. Another presence is that of “Helen,” a middle aged woman who seemingly watches over and protects the directors and producers of the various shows.
And finally…there is Percival. According to the stories, Percival was a former handyman who worked at the original Bristol Opera House in exchange for room and board, after he and his family lost their home in a fire. Percival is seen as a trickster, and anything that goes wrong, from electrical disturbances to missing tools and/or props is blamed on Percival. Percival really doesn’t like musicals, so much of the annoying behavior seems to occur when such a production is going on. But Percival’s antics don’t end there; he is often felt brushing up against actors and guests, and has even been known to grab and jerk an actor back as he’s making his entrance onto the stage. Ladies have an especially difficult time with Percival as he is often seen hanging around the women’s dressing rooms. He’s also seen in the right aisle of the theater.
Brown Mansion in Kansas
The Brown Mansion in Coffeyville was designed by Edward Wilder and Thomas Wight for W.P. Brown and his wife, Nancy. The house was completed in 1904 and was specially designed to accommodate Nancy’s petite, 4’11’’ frame. The opulent mansion was the result of W.P.’s good business fortune. Moving to the area in 1890 to work in the lumber industry, W.P. Brown shortly got into the natural gas business after finding one of the area’s largest natural gas wells.
However, the Browns would never really experience the same good fortune in child rearing as they did in business. They had a total of five children, but only one lived to adulthood. Two sons died at birth. Son William died at the age of 4 from pneumonia and son Donald died while living at the home at the age of 11 from complications due to diabetes. Only daughter Violet survived to adulthood, but even her family life would never be promising, either.
Violet married her first husband at the age of 19, but divorced shortly after their only child died at birth. She did remarry, but that marriage ended in divorce too. That’s when Violet decided to go to college, and become a librarian, a vocation she held until she moved back to Coffeyville in the 1930s to take care of her ailing parents. When Violet wasn’t actively taking care of them, she could be found dancing alone in the third floor ballroom.
After W.P. and Nancy both passed away, Violet inherited the house. She lived there until 1970 when she sold it to the Coffeyville Historical Society for use as a museum. She also left to them most of the original furnishings, taking only what she needed to the nursing home where she spent her remaining days. Violet died in 1973, but her spirit remains as one of five ghosts that are said to haunt the Brown Mansion.
Although the current museum director has never seen any evidence of a haunting, many other visitors over the years have reported seeing, hearing, and even smelling the five ghosts.
Violet is often seen in the third floor ballroom, dancing just as she did in life.
Violet’s younger brother Donald was the only sibling to live at the mansion and due to his health problems associated with diabetes, he was home schooled on the third floor. When he died in 1911, Nancy sealed his room up, just as he left it and it wasn’t opened until after her death in 1937. Donald is seen playing on the third floor and appears to be happy and carefree, sometimes whistling a favorite tune.
Donald’s death hit Nancy very hard. Her ghost is rarely seen, but is often heard outside his bedroom crying.
W.P. is both seen and smelled. He loved to smoke a pipe, and is seen doing so in the first floor dining room and in the library. Sometimes the smell of tobacco accompanies the apparition, and sometimes it is observed on its own in these same areas.
Charlie was a servant who was like a member of the family. He is seen sitting in his basement bedroom and also standing by the front door, as if awaiting visitors.